You’ll love these Healthy Baked French Fries! French fries are a classic comfort food that are loved by many. However, traditional French fries are often deep-fried and loaded with unhealthy fats and calories. That’s why this vegan recipe for healthy baked French fries is a great alternative for those who want to enjoy this classic dish without the guilt. By using a few simple ingredients and baking the fries in the oven, you can enjoy a delicious and healthier version of this beloved side dish or snack.
How to Make Heathy Baked French Fries
Healthy No-Guilt Baked French Fries are so easy to make! These vegan baked French fries are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, making them the perfect side dish for any meal. Plus, they are easy to make! Whether you’re looking for a healthier alternative to traditional French fries or simply want to switch up your side dish game, this recipe is sure to be a hit.
Extra Cooking Tips
- Make sure to dry the potatoes thoroughly after washing and cutting them to remove excess moisture. This will help the fries crisp up in the oven.
- To make fries extra crispy lightly toss the fries with a small amount of cornstarch or arrowroot powder before baking. This will help create a crispy exterior.
- Spread the fries out in a single layer on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. This will allow them to cook evenly and crisp up all around.
- Preheat your oven to a high temperature, such as 425°F, before baking the fries. This will help them cook quickly and become crispy.
- Consider adding some herbs or spices to your fries for added flavor. Some popular options include smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder.
There are many options for seasoning fries, both traditional and more creative. Some classic seasonings include salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Paprika, cumin, and chili powder can add some smokiness and spice. Italian seasoning, rosemary, and thyme can give the fries an herbaceous flavor. For a cheesy flavor, nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan can be sprinkled on top. Truffle oil or truffle salt can also be used for a luxurious twist.
French fries are great by themselves with salt or with a sauce or dip, as a snack. When you want to add them as a side dish to a meal consider pairing them with veggie burgers, sandwiches, mock meat dishes, chili, carrot hot dogs, and gyros. A unique way to serve them is with a Mediterranean meal that contains hummus and tahini sauce that the fries can be dipped in.
Dips to Serve with French Fries
- Tomato-based dips: ketchup, marinara sauce, or salsa.
- Vegan mayo-based dips: aioli, garlic aioli, chipotle mayo, or Sriracha mayo.
- Vegan ranch: This classic dip can be made with a vegan mayo or yogurt base and flavored with herbs and spices. Vegan ranch can be made with vegan mayo, almond milk, garlic, onion powder, and dill.
- Vegan cheese sauce: This is made with nutritional yeast, cashews, or other vegan cheese substitutes for a cheesy dip to go with your fries.
- Guacamole: This avocado-based dip can be made with lime juice, cilantro, and other seasonings for a fresh and flavorful addition to your fries.
- Tahini Sauce – Makes a unique, tangy – savory and tasty dip for French Fries! Tahini can be a delicious dip to serve with vegan fries. You can make a simple tahini dip by mixing together tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and water to achieve the desired consistency. Alternatively, you can also mix tahini with some vegan mayo, Dijon mustard, and maple syrup for a sweet and tangy dip. Another option is to mix tahini with some sriracha or other hot sauce for a spicy kick.
- Feta Cheese – This creamy, tangy cheese can be thinned with a plant-based milk and blended to create a dip or it can just simply be spooned onto a plate of French Fries. It’s a great option to cheesy fries!
- Guacamole – Guacamole is a flavorful dip that goes well with fries.
- Vegan Queso – This spicy and cheesy dip made with cashews, nutritional yeast, and jalapenos is perfect for those who like their fries with a bit of heat.
- Vegan Sour Cream or Vegan Tofu Sour Cream – Vegan sour creams are a creamy and tangy dip is a great vegan alternative to traditional sour cream.
- Hummus – This Middle Eastern dip made with chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic is a healthy and delicious option to serve with fries.
- Mustard-based dips: Dijon mustard, sweet mustard, or spicy mustard.
- Spicy ketchup: Mix ketchup with hot sauce or chili powder to add some heat to your fries.
- Sweet dips: maple syrup, fruit jams, or chocolate sauce.
Healthy Baked French Fries
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt or add to preferred taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Peel and slice potatoes into desired thickness for fries.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Add potatoes to the bowl and toss until they are coated evenly.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until fries are golden brown, flipping them halfway through cooking.
- Add salt and serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy your vegan French Fries!