Vegan Red Lentil Meatballs are a creative and innovative take on traditional meatballs. These meatballs pack a lot of flavor! They are made with red lentils, almond flour, breadcrumbs, aromatic herbs and spices. Unique and delicious, these vegan meatballs are sure to impress with their taste and versatility.
Quick and Easy Serving Ideas
- Spaghetti and Meatballs: Serve these meatballs over a bed of spaghetti or your favorite pasta. Then top with marinara sauce or vegan tomato sauce. Sprinkle with some vegan Parmesan cheese for an extra touch of flavor.
- Lentil Meatball Pita Pockets: Stuff pita pockets with cooked red lentil meatballs. Then add shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and cucumbers. Then top it off with a dollop of sauce or dressing. Try a dairy-free yogurt, Tzatziki Sauce or tahini sauce for a refreshing and elegant Mediterranean-inspired meal.
- Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes: Try a Vegan Gravy or Mushroom Gravy with mashed potatoes or roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Then add with a vegetable or salad. Try Easy Skillet Garlic String Beans or Roasted Carrots for a complete meal.
- Lentil Meatball Noodle Bowls: Serve cooked red lentil meatballs over a bed of noodles. Try udon, soba, or rice noodles. Toss with a flavorful sauce made with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. Top with fresh vegetables, such as bean sprouts, scallions, and cilantro. It makes a very satisfying and elegant Asian-inspired meal.
- Meatball Sandwich: Cut the meatballs in half and put on toasted slices of bread. Add mayo or favorite sauce.
- Lentil Meatball Salad: Create a hearty and nutritious salad! Serve red lentil meatballs over a bed of mixed greens or baby spinach. Top with a tangy vinaigrette dressing. Add some roasted vegetables, nuts, and seeds for a colorful and satisfying meal.
- Veggie Stir-Fry: Whip up a quick and colorful veggie stir-fry. Simply add red lentil meatballs as a protein-rich component. Toss with your favorite stir-fry sauce and serve over rice or noodles for a satisfying meal.
- Buddha Bowl: Create a nourishing Buddha bowl. Arrange cooked grains, roasted or steamed veggies, and red lentil meatballs in a bowl. Drizzle with a creamy dressing or sauce for a complete and satisfying meal in a bowl.
- Salad: Top your favorite salad with red lentil meatballs for an added protein boost. Create a hearty salad with mixed greens, roasted vegetables, avocado, and a tangy dressing for a delicious and filling meal.
- Grain Bowl: Build a wholesome grain bowl by combining cooked grains, such as quinoa, brown rice, or couscous, with red lentil meatballs, roasted or steamed veggies, and a flavorful sauce. Customize with your favorite veggies, herbs, and spices for a quick and satisfying meal.
- Soup or Stew: Add red lentil meatballs to your favorite vegan soup or stew for a protein-packed twist. Simmer the meatballs in the soup or stew until cooked through, and serve with some crusty bread or a side of greens for a comforting and satisfying meal.
Serving Ideas to Impress Your Guests
- Vegan Meatball Pasta Bake: Create an elegant and comforting pasta bake by layering cooked pasta, marinara sauce, red lentil meatballs, and vegan cheese in a baking dish. Bake in the oven until bubbly and golden, and serve with a fresh green salad for a delicious and satisfying meal.
- Lentil Meatball Wellington: Put a vegan twist on the classic beef Wellington by wrapping red lentil meatballs in puff pastry with mushrooms, herbs, and vegan cream cheese. Bake until golden and crispy, and serve with a rich mushroom sauce for an elegant and indulgent dish.
- Lentil Meatball Skewers: Thread red lentil meatballs onto skewers with colorful veggies, such as bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and red onions. Grill or bake until cooked through, and serve with a tangy dipping sauce for an elegant and flavorful appetizer or main course.
- Lentil Meatball Sliders: Make mini lentil meatball sliders by placing red lentil meatballs on small slider buns, and top with vegan cheese, caramelized onions, and a tangy sauce. Serve as a delicious and elegant appetizer or main course for a party or gathering.
- Lentil Meatball Tacos: Create gourmet vegan tacos by stuffing red lentil meatballs into small tortillas, and topping with fresh guacamole, salsa, and vegan sour cream. Add some pickled onions or jalapenos for an extra touch of elegance and flavor.
- Lentil Meatball Salad: Arrange red lentil meatballs on a bed of mixed greens, and top with roasted vegetables, toasted nuts or seeds, and a tangy vinaigrette for an elegant and wholesome salad. Sprinkle with some vegan Parmesan cheese for an added touch of sophistication.
- Lentil Meatball Canapés: Make bite-sized canapés by placing red lentil meatballs on small slices of baguette or crackers, and topping with a dollop of vegan cream cheese, a slice of cucumber or tomato, and a sprig of fresh herbs. Serve as an elegant appetizer at your next gathering or event.
- Lentil Meatball Ragout: Create a rich and hearty ragout by simmering red lentil meatballs in a tomato-based sauce with vegetables, such as mushrooms, carrots, and celery, along with herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, and oregano. Serve over creamy polenta or mashed potatoes for a cozy and elegant meal.
- Lentil Meatball Tapas: Make a spread of elegant tapas by serving red lentil meatballs alongside other small bites, such as vegan cheeses, olives, marinated vegetables, and crusty bread. Arrange on a platter for a beautiful and appetizing spread that’s perfect for entertaining guests.
- Lentil Meatball Risotto: Stir red lentil meatballs into a creamy risotto made with Arborio rice, vegetable broth, white wine, and vegetables, such as peas, asparagus, or roasted butternut squash. Serve with a sprinkle of vegan Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs for a luxurious and sophisticated meal.
- Lentil Meatball Gnocchi: Toss cooked red lentil meatballs with pillowy potato gnocchi and a flavorful sauce made with garlic, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and balsamic vinegar for a delicious and elegant Italian-inspired dish.
- Lentil Meatball Crostini: Top slices of toasted baguette or crackers with red lentil meatballs, a dollop of marinara sauce or pesto, and a sprinkle of vegan Parmesan cheese for a delectable and elegant appetizer that’s perfect for cocktail parties or gatherings.
- Lentil Meatball Skewers: Thread cooked red lentil meatballs onto skewers with colorful vegetables, such as cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and zucchini, and grill or bake until cooked through. Serve with a tangy dipping sauce or a drizzle of balsamic glaze for an elegant and visually appealing dish that’s perfect for entertaining.
- Lentil Meatball Phyllo Cups: Fill phyllo cups with cooked red lentil meatballs, a dollop of vegan cream cheese or cashew cheese, and a sprinkle of fresh herbs, such as chives or parsley. Bake until crispy and golden for a sophisticated and flavorful appetizer or party snack.
- Lentil Meatball Croquettes: Form cooked red lentil meatballs into small croquettes, coat with breadcrumbs or panko, and pan-fry until crispy. Serve with a dipping sauce made with vegan mayonnaise, lemon juice, and herbs, such as dill or parsley, for a sophisticated and delicious appetizer or side dish.
- Refrigerator: You can store cooked red lentil meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Make sure they are cooled to room temperature before transferring to the refrigerator.
- Freezer: If you want to store red lentil meatballs for a longer period of time, you can freeze them. Place cooked and cooled meatballs in a single layer on a baking sheet or plate, and freeze for about 1 hour to firm them up. Then transfer them to a resealable freezer-safe container or freezer bag, and label with the date. Red lentil meatballs can be frozen for up to 2-3 months.
- To reheat: If you have leftover refrigerated or frozen red lentil meatballs, you can reheat them in the oven, on the stovetop, or in the microwave. Reheating times may vary depending on the size and thickness of the meatballs.
Red Lentil Meatballs
- 1 cup red lentils
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (or oats)
- ½ cup ground almonds (or almond flour)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (or basil)
- Rinse the lentils and cook them according to the package instructions.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked lentils, breadcrumbs, ground almonds, nutritional yeast, parsley, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll the lentil mixture into small balls, about 1-2 tablespoons each.
- Place the lentil balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the lentil balls are golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite sauce or on top of pasta or rice. Enjoy!