Vegan Spanish Rice will perfectly complement Spanish and Mexican cuisine. Bursting with vibrant colors and rich flavors, this dish is the ideal accompaniment to your favorite main courses. Whether you’re serving up fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, or burritos, our Vegan Spanish Rice adds a burst of authenticity to your dining experience. With each spoonful, you’ll savor the delicious blend of spices and the satisfying, perfectly cooked grains. Make your dinner table come alive with this mouthwatering side dish that captures the essence of Spanish and Mexican culinary traditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use brown rice instead of white rice for this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute brown rice, but keep in mind that it will require a longer cooking time and may need more liquid. Adjust the cooking time and liquid as needed.
Is it necessary to rinse the rice before cooking?
Rinsing the rice is recommended to remove excess starch and prevent it from becoming too sticky. However, you can skip this step if you prefer.
What can I use if I don’t have vegetable broth?
If you don’t have vegetable broth, you can use water, and the dish will still have great flavor. Alternatively, you can use vegetable bouillon cubes or granules to make a broth.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the Spanish rice in advance. Reheat it on the stovetop with a bit of extra liquid to restore its texture and flavors.
Is it possible to make this rice in a rice cooker?
Yes, you can make Vegan Spanish Rice in a rice cooker following the same steps and using the appropriate rice-to-liquid ratio for your rice cooker.
What can I serve this rice with?
Vegan Spanish Rice pairs wonderfully with a variety of dishes, including fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and grilled vegetables.
Can I adjust the level of spiciness in this dish?
Yes, you can adjust the spiciness by increasing or decreasing the amount of chili powder or using mild or hot paprika according to your heat preference.
More Delicious Recipes
- Vegan Cauliflower Enchiladas
- Black Bean Southwest Tacos
- Chili Lime Cauliflower Tacos
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado Crema
- Quesadillas with Veggies
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Vegan BBQ Chickpea Tacos
- Cauliflower, Walnut, Tofu Burritos
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 ¾ cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ finely diced onion (yellow or white)
- ½ cup bell pepper, finely diced (red or green)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper (more to add heat)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- lime wedges for serving
- Place the rice in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear. This helps remove excess starch and prevents the rice from becoming too sticky.
- In a large, deep skillet or pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, amd bell pepper. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onion and peppers become tender. Add minced garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add the rinsed rice to the skillet and stir to coat it with the oil and aromatics. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice turns slightly translucent.
- Sprinkle the chili powder, cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt, and black pepper over the rice. Stir well to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Add the tomato sauce to the skillet and stir to combine with the seasoned rice. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, allowing the tomato sauce to infuse the rice.
- Pour in the vegetable broth (or water). Stir to combine, ensuring everything is well-mixed.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the skillet and let it simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid. Do not lift the lid while it's cooking.
- Once the rice is done, remove it from the heat, fluff it with a fork, and let it sit for a few minutes. You can garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired.