This vegan broccoli cheese soup is nutritious, and cheesy! Making it a cozy and healthy choice that tastes so good. It’s a satisfying and incredibly tasty soup that will leave you wanting more.
About the Ingredients:
- Broccoli Florets: Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable known for its health benefits. It’s rich in vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. In this soup, broccoli provides the vibrant green color and a fresh, earthy flavor.
- Carrots: Carrots are packed with beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant. It gives them their orange color. They add natural sweetness and nutrition to the soup.
- Potatoes: Potatoes help create a creamy texture in the soup without the need for dairy. They’re also a good source of complex carbohydrates.
- Onion and Garlic: Onion and garlic contribute to the savory and aromatic base of the soup. They provide depth of flavor and are often used in vegan and vegetarian cooking.
- Vegetable Broth: Vegetable broth serves as the liquid base of the soup, adding depth and flavor. It’s typically made by simmering various vegetables and seasonings.
- Plant-Based Milk: Unsweetened plant-based milk (such as almond or soy milk) adds creaminess to the soup without dairy. It’s a key component in achieving a rich and smooth texture.
- Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast is used to impart a cheesy flavor to the soup. It’s a common ingredient in vegan cooking and is rich in vitamins, especially B-complex vitamins.
- Raw Cashews: Soaked cashews provide creaminess to the soup and help achieve a velvety texture. They are often used in vegan recipes to create dairy-free creaminess.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is used for sautéing the onions and garlic, adding a touch of richness to the soup.
- Lemon Juice and Paprika: These seasonings add depth and a hint of tanginess and smokiness to the flavor profile of the soup.
- Salt and Pepper: These seasonings are used to enhance the overall taste and can be adjusted to your preference.
These thoughtfully chosen ingredients come together to create a nutritious, dairy-free, and delicious vegan broccoli cheese soup that is both satisfying and comforting.
More Delicious Soups
- Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup
- Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Tuscan Navy Bean Soup
- Cream of Celery Soup
- Vegan Lentil Vegetable Soup
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 -3 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 ½ cup chopped potatoes
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened plant-based milk (such as almond or soy)
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast (for cheesey flavor) – Add more (1/2 cup) for cheesier flavor
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours (for creaminess)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté for about 4 -5 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add the chopped carrots, garlic, *broccoli and potatoes to the pot and sauté for another 5 minutes. *(Note: If you want some whole broccoli florets in your soup then reserve 1/2 of the broccoli for this)
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- Once the vegetables are tender, remove the pot from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, carefully transfer the soup in batches to a blender and blend until smooth, then return it to the pot.
- Return the pot to low heat and stir in the plant-based milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and paprika. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- If you reserved 1/2 of the broccoli then stir in the chopped broccoli florets and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender but still vibrant green.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.