This vegan bruschetta recipe is a classic Italian appetizer. Besides the great taste, one of the best things is it’s super easy to make and bursting with fresh flavors! The crisp, toasted bread is topped with a mixture of juicy tomatoes, fragrant garlic, and fresh basil. In addition, it’s drizzled in balsamic vinegar and olive oil for a tangy and savory finish. Therefore, it’s the perfect appetizer for any gathering!
These tasty toasts also pair well with many Italian meals. Try it with pesto pasta or with a simple pasta dish. Simply splash a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle vegan parmesan over some pasta. Then add vegan meatballs and these crispy Bruschetta toasts.
Vegan Bruschetta toppings and add-ins:
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese: Add to the tomato mixture or sprinkled as garnish on top.
- Olives: Slice or chop black or green olives and add a salty and tangy flavor to bruschetta.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted bell peppers, eggplant, or zucchini add a smoky flavor and extra texture to bruschetta.
- Vegan cheese: Grate or slice vegan cheese such as vegan mozzarella or vegan feta. It adds a creamy and savory flavor to bruschetta.
- Pesto: A dollop of vegan pesto on top of the tomato mixture adds a burst of herbaceous and garlicky flavor to bruschetta.
- Balsamic glaze: Drizzle balsamic glaze on top of the bruschetta and add a sweet and tangy flavor and a beautiful presentation.
- Fresh herbs: Chop fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or thyme. It adds a pop of freshness and bright flavor to bruschetta.
- Caramelized onions: Soft, sweet caramelized onions adds a rich, savory flavor to bruschetta.
- Avocado: Slice or mash avocado and add a creamy texture and mild flavor to bruschetta.
- Vegan bacon bits: Crumbled vegan bacon bits and add a smoky and salty flavor to bruschetta.
These toppings can be used individually or combine them to create a unique and flavorful bruschetta.
- 1 baguette or Italian bread loaf, sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 4-5 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil (using up to 1 tablespoon).
- Bake the bread for 6-12 minutes, until it is crisp and golden brown. Turning once so the bread is evenly toasted on both sides.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, red onion, garlic, 1tblsp. olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, and vegan parmesan if using.
- Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Let the mixture sit for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Top each slice of bread with a spoonfuls of the tomato mixture. Serve immediately.