Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread is delicious blend of Southern comfort with a hint of heat from the jalapeños. It’s tasty as a side dish for soups, stews, or enjoyed on its own. The recipe uses wholesome ingredients, including cornmeal, non-dairy milk, and a touch of maple syrup. This savory, crowd-pleaser can be easily made gluten-free and accommodate dietary preferences. Serve with dinner, at gatherings, or even a snack. Easy to make and even easier to savor!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this cornbread gluten-free?
Yes, you can use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend to make this cornbread gluten-free.
Is the vegan shredded cheddar cheese necessary?
No, it’s optional. You can omit it for a cheese-free version, or you can substitute it with your favorite vegan cheese.
Can I use frozen corn instead of fresh or canned corn?
Yes, you can use frozen corn. Thaw it first before folding it into the batter.
How spicy is the cornbread with jalapeños?
The spiciness level is mild to moderate. Adjust the number of jalapeños according to your spice preference.
Can I freeze the cornbread?
Yes, you can freeze the cornbread. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to three months.
What can I serve with this cornbread?
This cornbread pairs well with chili, soups, stews, or as a tasty side for barbecue dishes.
Can I make muffins instead of a square pan?
Yes, you can pour the batter into muffin tins and adjust the baking time accordingly, reducing it as muffins typically bake faster.
Is this cornbread suitable for a picnic or potluck?
Absolutely! This cornbread is portable and makes a great addition to picnics, potlucks, and gatherings.
Can I make this cornbread oil-free?
Yes, you can replace the oil with applesauce or mashed banana for an oil-free version.
What’s the best way to reheat leftover cornbread?
To reheat, wrap individual slices in aluminum foil and warm in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes.
How can I make the cornbread more moist?
Ensure not to overmix the batter, and if you prefer a moister texture, add an extra tablespoon of oil or applesauce.
Is this recipe suitable for people with nut allergies?
Yes, this recipe is nut-free. Confirm that the non-dairy milk used is also nut-free.
Can I add other ingredients to the cornbread, like herbs or spices?
Absolutely! Experiment with additional herbs or spices like thyme, cumin, or smoked paprika for extra flavor.
What’s the best way to serve this cornbread at a gathering?
Cut the cornbread into bite-sized squares for easy serving at gatherings or events.
Serve with Delicious Soup or Chili Recipes
- Chili Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Parmesan Cabbage Rice Soup
- Sweet Potato Chili
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Lentil Chili
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Chili with Black Beans
Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (e.g., almond milk, soy milk, oat milk)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced (fresh or in a jar, drained)
- ½ cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned) (optional)
- ¼ cup scallions (green onions), sliced (optional)
- ½ cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a square baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the non-dairy milk, maple syrup or agave nectar, and vegetable oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in the corn kernels, green onions (if using) and chopped jalapeños. If using vegan shredded cheddar cheese, fold it in as well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cornbread to cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.