Make mashed potatoes a little more special and a lot more tasty with this Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe. Great for dinner or entertaining. These potatoes are creamy, garlicy and delicious! It’s the perfect side dish to many entrees.
Vegan roasted garlic mashed potatoes are a perfect side dish that will please everyone at the table. The roasted garlic gives the mashed potatoes a deep, nutty flavor that pairs perfectly with the creamy texture. This recipe is also a great option for those who are looking for a vegan alternative to traditional mashed potatoes. The dish is easy to make and can be enjoyed as a side for any meal, whether it be a holiday dinner or a casual weeknight meal. With only a handful of ingredients, you can whip up a delicious and satisfying dish in no time.
Add ins and Options:
- For a cheesy flavor, stir in some nutritional yeast or vegan cheese.
- Add in some chopped fresh herbs, such as rosemary or thyme, for extra flavor.
- Mix in some vegan sour cream or vegan cream cheese for a creamier texture.
- Use roasted sweet potatoes or cauliflower instead of regular potatoes for a different twist.
- Stir in some sautéed mushrooms or caramelized onions for added depth of flavor.
- For a spicy kick, add in some chopped jalapeños or red pepper flakes.
- Use different varieties of potatoes, such as red or Yukon gold, for a slightly different taste and texture.
- Mix in some roasted root vegetables, such as carrots or parsnips, for added sweetness and nutrition.
- Top with vegan bacon bits or crispy fried onions for added texture and flavor.
- Use different types of roasted garlic, such as black garlic or smoked garlic, for a unique twist on the classic recipe.
- Don’t overwork the potatoes: Overworking or over-mixing the potatoes can result in a gummy texture. Use a potato masher or ricer to gently mash the potatoes until they are smooth.
- Warm the milk and butter: Adding cold milk and butter to hot potatoes can cause the mixture to become lumpy. Warm the milk and butter in a separate pan before adding them to the potatoes.
- Season well: Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use the right potato: Different potato varieties have different starch contents, which can affect the texture of the mashed potatoes. For creamier mashed potatoes, use a potato with a higher starch content, like a Russet potato.
- Add cream cheese or sour cream: For even creamier mashed potatoes, try adding a dollop of cream cheese or sour cream to the mixture.
- Don’t let them cool too much: Mashed potatoes can become stiff and difficult to work with if they cool too much. Serve them immediately after preparing, or keep them warm in a slow cooker or on a low heat setting.
- Vegan Meatballs: Serve the mashed potatoes alongside vegan meatballs for a hearty and filling meal. Serve with Vegan Chickpea Meatballs, Quick Lentil Meatballs or Vegan Red Lentil Meatballs.. .
- Vegan Sausages: Serve the mashed potatoes with some vegan sausages and a side of steamed vegetables for a simple yet satisfying meal.
- Vegan Roast: Serve the mashed potatoes as a side dish to a vegan roast made with seitan, tofu, or tempeh and plenty of roasted vegetables.
- Serve alongside a Vegan Meatloaf or vegan mushroom gravy for a classic comfort food meal.
- Create a loaded mashed potato bowl by topping the potatoes with vegan gravy, sautéed mushrooms, and caramelized onions.
- Use the Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes as a base for shepherd’s pie.
- Create a vegan version of the classic dish, bangers and mash, by serving the mashed potatoes with vegan sausages and onion gravy.
- Top with chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley or chives, for a pop of color and added flavor.
- Top the mashed potatoes with vegan cheese or vegan bacon bits for added texture and flavor.
- Serve alongside vegan mac and cheese or a vegan lentil soup for a comforting and hearty meal.
- Use the mashed potatoes as a filling for vegan pierogies or as a topping for vegan nachos.
- Serve as a side dish for holiday meals, such as Thanksgiving or Christmas, alongside vegan stuffing and cranberry sauce.
- Top the mashed potatoes fill with Portobello mushrooms and vegan cheese and baked until golden brown.
- Top the mashed potatoes with vegan mushroom bourguignon or vegan lentil bolognese for a rich and satisfying dinner.
- Serve as a side dish for a vegan holiday roast, such as a vegan turkey or roast beef alternative.
- Use the mashed potatoes to top a vegan pot pie, filled with hearty vegetables and a vegan gravy.
- Vegan gravy: Serve the mashed potatoes with a side of vegan gravy or vegan mushroom gravy for a comforting and classic combination.
Vegan Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 head of garlic
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut off the top of the garlic head, drizzle with olive oil, and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Roast garlic for 30-40 minutes or until cloves are soft and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in salted boiling water until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them with a potato masher or fork.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and add them to the mashed potatoes.
- Add milk, butter, salt, and pepper to the mashed potatoes and stir until everything is well combined.Serve hot and enjoy!