Create a delectable and guilt-free side or snack with our vegan zucchini fries recipe. These crispy, baked zucchini strips are coated with a flavorful mixture of breadcrumbs, flour, nutritional yeast and seasonings. Zucchini fries are the perfect combination of crunchy and tender. Make a mouthwatering treat, and make these for a snack for game night or for a lunch box treat. In addition, when you’re in the mood for something unique and different they make a delightful side dish addition to any meal.
Whether enjoyed for a snack or a side dish this recipe is not only delicious but fits a healthier alternative to traditional fries. Serve with a favorite vegan dipping sauce or a bit of freshly chopped herbs,
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I air-fry the zucchini fries instead of baking them in the oven?
Absolutely, air-frying is an excellent option. Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C), place the coated zucchini fries in a single layer in the basket, and air-fry for about 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through, until they’re golden and crispy.
Is there a gluten-free version of this recipe available?
Yes, you can make a gluten-free version by using gluten-free breadcrumbs and a combination of a gluten-free flour (such as chickpea and rice flour) as the coating.
How do I store leftover zucchini fries?
To store any leftovers, allow them to cool completely, then place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat them in the oven to maintain their crispiness.
What are some suitable dipping sauce alternatives?
Try our Easy Dipping Sauce, or you can serve the zucchini fries with vegan ranch dressing, marinara sauce, vegan aioli, or a spicy sriracha mayo for added flavor.
Can I prepare the zucchini fries in advance and reheat them later?
While they are best enjoyed fresh, you can make them in advance and reheat them in the oven to restore their crispiness. Just be sure not to stack them when reheating to maintain their texture.
Are these zucchini fries kid-friendly?
Yes, these zucchini fries are generally well-received by both kids and adults. They’re a great way to introduce more vegetables into your child’s diet while satisfying their snack cravings. Serve with their favorite dipping sauce to ensure enjoyability.
More Delicious Snacks or Sides
- 2 – 3 medium zucchinis
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (ensure they're vegan)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk or water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika (or smoked paprika for smoky flavor)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray or light coating of olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with oil a baking sheet.
- Cut the zucchinis into long, thin strips resembling French fries.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Pour the plant based milk into a separate shallow bowl.
- Dip each zucchini strip into the vegan milk. Then dip into the next bowl of breadcrumb mixture, pressing the coating onto the zucchini to ensure it sticks. You can also lightly spray or brush the zucchini with a small amount of oil to help with browning and crispiness.
- Place the coated zucchini strips on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Make sure they're not touching each other, as this will help them get crispier.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the zucchini fries are golden brown and crispy. You may want to flip them halfway through for even browning.
- Once the zucchini fries are done, remove them from the oven, let them cool slightly, and serve them with the dipping sauce.