Chili Mac and cheese is the perfect meal for a weeknight dinner that’s not only family-friendly but also a beloved comfort food favorite. This vegan Chili Mac and Cheese is a protein-packed, budget-friendly delight that brings everyone to the table with smiles. Packed with wholesome ingredients, it’s the ideal way to satisfy those comfort food cravings while ensuring a healthy, hearty, and satisfying dinner. This chili has a gluten-free option, too. You’ll love this ultimate comfort food. The zesty chili and creamy mac and cheese is a winning combination!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this Vegan Chili Mac and Cheese recipe gluten-free?
Yes, this recipe can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free macaroni or pasta. Ensure that all other ingredients are also gluten-free.
Can I make this dish with a different type of pasta?
Absolutely! You can use your favorite type of pasta in this recipe, whether it’s macaroni, penne, or any other pasta shape you prefer.
Are there any options for making it spicier?
To add heat, you can include ingredients like diced jalapeños, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper in the chili. Adjust the level of spiciness to your preference.
Can I prepare this in advance and reheat it?
Yes, you can prepare Vegan Chili Mac and Cheese in advance and reheat it when ready to eat. Keep the chili and mac and cheese separate until reheating to maintain the best texture.
What sides go well with Vegan Chili Mac and Cheese?
Vegan Chili Mac and Cheese pairs well with side dishes like a green salad, steamed vegetables, or garlic bread.
Can I freeze leftovers for future meals?
Yes, you can freeze leftovers in airtight containers for future consumption. Thaw and reheat as needed.
How can I increase the protein content of this dish further?
You can add plant-based protein sources like tofu, tempeh, or vegan sausage to the chili.
What can I do to make it more kid-friendly for picky eaters?
To make it more kid-friendly, you can adjust the level of spiciness and consider adding hidden vegetables by pureeing them and incorporating them into the chili.
More Delicious Chili Recipes
More Delicious Mac and Cheese Recipes
Chili Mac and Cheese
For the chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell peppers, red
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
For the mac and cheese
- 12 oz elbow macaroni (use gluten-free macaroni for a gluten free option)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 2 cups vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the chopped red and yellow bell peppers and sauté for a few more minutes until they soften.
- Stir in the black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes.
- While the chili is simmering, cook the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the plant-based milk over medium heat. Add the shredded vegan cheddar cheese, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Combine the cooked macaroni and the cheese sauce, mixing until the macaroni is well coated with the cheesy sauce.
- Gently add the mac and cheese to the chili and combine. Or serve mac and cheese with a generous portion of chili on top.
- Serve your Vegan Chili Mac and Cheese with a garnish with more shredded vegan cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, green onions, or vegan sour cream if desired.