Pesto Potato Salad is a harmonious fusion of Italian and modern plant-based cuisine. This vibrant dish has rich flavor and a delightful variation from the classic potato salad. It’s a crowd-pleaser at picnics, gatherings and at home!
So simple to make and can be made the day before. Simply make the potatoes and add your favorite pesto sauce. Mix gently, chill and serve.
Additions and add-ons
- Bell Peppers
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Fresh Herbs
- Lemon Zest
- Nutritional Yeast
- and more Pesto!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can Pesto Potato Salad be made ahead of time?
Yes, pesto potato salad can be made ahead of time. In fact, allowing the flavors to meld together over time can often enhance the taste of the dish. Here’s how you can prepare and store pesto potato salad in advance:
- Cook the Potatoes: Boil or roast the potatoes according to the recipe instructions. Once cooked, drain and let them cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the Pesto: Make the vegan pesto as per the recipe and set it aside.
- Mix the Salad: In a large bowl, combine the cooled potatoes and the prepared pesto. Gently toss to ensure the potatoes are well coated with the pesto sauce.
- Refrigerate: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the potato salad to an airtight container. Place it in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to develop. You can leave it in the refrigerator for several hours or even overnight.
- Serve: When you’re ready to serve, give the potato salad a gentle toss to redistribute the pesto and flavors. You can adjust the seasoning if needed. Garnish with additional fresh herbs or ingredients if desired.
Making pesto potato salad ahead of time not only saves you time on the day you plan to serve it, but it also allows the flavors to meld together, resulting in a more flavorful and satisfying dish. Just be sure to store it properly in the refrigerator and give it a good mix before serving.
Try these homemade pesto sauces:
Pesto Potato Salad
- 2 lbs potatoes, washed and quartered
- salt, for boiling potatoes
- ½ cup vegan pesto (store-bought or homemade)
- slat and pepper to taste
- Boil Potatoes: Place the halved or quartered baby potatoes in a large pot of cold salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and let them cool slightly.
- Put the potatoes in a large bowl and add pesto: Spoon the vegan pesto over the potato mixture and gently toss until the potatoes are coated with the pesto.
- Chill and Serve: Cover the potato salad and refrigerate for at least an 30 minutes to an hour to allow the flavors to meld. Serve chilled, and enjoy as a side dish or a light main course.