Roasted cauliflower is a beloved vegan dish that offers a tasty and nutritious way to enjoy this versatile vegetable. By simply tossing cauliflower florets in oil, herbs, and spices, and then roasting them in the oven until they are crispy and tender, you can create a flavorful and satisfying dish that can be served in a variety of ways. Roasted cauliflower can be a fantastic side dish, a delicious addition to salads, a creative pizza topping, or even the star of a tasty vegan main course.
Toppings and options for Roasted Cauliflower
- Vegan Parmesan cheese: Sprinkle some vegan Parmesan cheese on top of the roasted cauliflower for a savory and umami-rich addition.
- Fresh herbs: Chopped fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, or chives can add a burst of freshness and brightness to the roasted cauliflower.
- Lemon zest: Grate some lemon zest over the roasted cauliflower to add a tangy and zesty flavor.
- Toasted nuts or seeds: Crushed toasted nuts or seeds like almonds, walnuts, or sesame seeds can add a crunchy texture and nutty flavor to the roasted cauliflower.
- Balsamic glaze: Drizzle some balsamic glaze over the roasted cauliflower for a sweet and tangy glaze that adds depth of flavor.
- Vegan aioli or dipping sauce: Serve roasted cauliflower with a side of vegan aioli or dipping sauce like garlic aioli, tahini sauce, or vegan ranch for a creamy and flavorful accompaniment.
- Roasted garlic: Add some roasted garlic cloves to the roasted cauliflower for a mellow and rich garlic flavor.
- Vegan cheese sauce: Drizzle some warm and gooey vegan cheese sauce over the roasted cauliflower for a decadent and creamy addition.
- Pomegranate seeds: Sprinkle some juicy and tart pomegranate seeds on top of the roasted cauliflower for a burst of sweetness and tanginess.
- Dried cranberries: Add some chewy and sweet dried cranberries to the roasted cauliflower for a contrasting texture and flavor.
- Za’atar spice blend: Sprinkle some Za’atar, a Middle Eastern spice blend made with thyme, sesame seeds, sumac, and other spices, over the roasted cauliflower for a fragrant and aromatic seasoning.
- Vegan bacon bits: Crumble some vegan bacon bits on top of the roasted cauliflower for a smoky and savory crunch.
- Pickled vegetables: Serve the roasted cauliflower with a side of pickled vegetables like onions, carrots, or jalapenos for a tangy and acidic contrast to the rich and savory cauliflower.
- Truffle oil: Drizzle some truffle oil over the roasted cauliflower for a luxurious and earthy flavor.
- Fresh avocado slices: Top the roasted cauliflower with creamy and buttery slices of fresh avocado for a rich and indulgent addition.
Serving options and pairings
- Side dish: Roasted cauliflower makes a flavorful and healthy side dish that pairs well with many main courses. You can simply season the cauliflower with olive oil, salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs or spices before roasting, and then serve it alongside roasted vegetables, grilled tofu, or a vegan protein of your choice.
- Salad ingredient: Roasted cauliflower can be a tasty addition to salads, adding a crunchy and flavorful element to your greens. You can toss roasted cauliflower florets with mixed greens, baby spinach, or kale, and then add in other salad ingredients like cherry tomatoes, red onions, avocado, and a tangy vinaigrette for a delicious and satisfying salad.
- Pizza topping: Roasted cauliflower can be a creative and delicious topping for homemade vegan pizzas. Simply toss the cauliflower florets in oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and your favorite Italian herbs, and then roast them until they are golden and crispy. Use the roasted cauliflower as a topping along with vegan cheese, tomato sauce, and other pizza toppings of your choice for a unique and tasty pizza.
- Main course: Roasted cauliflower can also be the star of a vegan main course. You can season the cauliflower with bold flavors like curry powder, smoked paprika, or cumin, and then roast it until it’s tender and caramelized. Serve the roasted cauliflower over a bed of quinoa, rice, or couscous, and add in some sautéed vegetables, a drizzle of tahini sauce, or a sprinkle of fresh herbs for a satisfying and flavorful vegan main dish.
- Appetizer: Roasted cauliflower can be a delicious and healthy appetizer that is perfect for snacking or serving at gatherings. You can season the cauliflower with a combination of spices like cumin, paprika, and garlic powder, and then roast them until they are crispy and golden. Serve the roasted cauliflower with a dipping sauce like tahini, vegan ranch, or marinara for a flavorful and satisfying appetizer.
- Refrigerator: Allow the roasted cauliflower to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: If you have a large batch of roasted cauliflower and want to store it for a longer period, you can freeze it. Allow the roasted cauliflower to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or a zip-top freezer bag. Label it with the date and store it in the freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to use, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat it in the oven or microwave.
- It’s worth noting that the texture of roasted cauliflower may change slightly after refrigeration or freezing, as it can become softer. However, it can still be used in soups, stews, stir-fries, or other dishes where the texture is less critical.
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or granules
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add chopped cauliflower florets and toss to coat evenly.
- Spread the cauliflower in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and lightly browned.
- Serve hot as a side dish or on top of salads or grain bowls