This Vegan Sushi Bowl with Brown Rice, Vegetables and Tofu is a nutritious and satisfying dish. It’s easy to make and perfect for a healthy lunch or dinner. It satisfies your sushi craving without the hassle of rolling it up. It’s convenient and delicious! This sushi bowl makes the perfect on-the-go lunch, or for make ahead lunches.
Vegan Sushi Bowl tips and serving options
- Cook the brown rice according to the package instructions and allow it to cool before assembling the sushi bowl. This will prevent the rice from getting mushy and help it hold its shape.
- You can use any type of vegetables that you like in this recipe. Just make sure to cut them into small, bite-sized pieces for easy eating.
- To make your tofu extra crispy, pat it dry with a paper towel and then slice it into small pieces. Heat up some oil in a non-stick pan and fry the tofu pieces until they are golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- If you’re short on time, you can use pre-cooked brown rice and pre-packaged vegetables, such as pre-shredded carrots or bagged mixed greens, to save time on prep work.
- For a gluten free option, use Cauliflower Rice instead of brown rice.
- Add some additional flavor by adding a dollop or drizzle of Almond Dipping Sauce (Satay Sauce).
- You can store your Vegan Sushi Bowl with Brown Rice, Vegetables, and Tofu in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to cover the container tightly to prevent any air from getting in, which can cause the ingredients to dry out or become stale.
- It’s important to note that the avocado may brown over time, so if you want to keep it looking fresh, you can store it separately and add it to the sushi bowl just before serving.
- If you’re planning to eat the sushi bowl later, I would recommend storing the soy sauce dressing separately as well, and adding it just before serving to prevent the rice and vegetables from becoming too soggy.
- When you’re ready to eat your sushi bowl, you can enjoy it cold or heat it up in the microwave or on the stovetop. If the rice has become a little dry, you can add a splash of water or soy sauce to moisten it up.
Vegan Sushi Bowl with Brown Rice, Vegetables, and Tofu
- 1 cup brown rice or white rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon tamari, soy sauce or coconut amino
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ block firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- ½ cup edamame
- ¼ cup pickled ginger
- ¼ cup nori seaweed, torn into small pieces
- Cook one cup of brown rice or white rice according to the package instructions. It should make 2 1/2 – 3 cups when cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the tofu. In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, agave syrup, tamari or soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Add the cubed tofu and marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cornstarch over the tofu cubes and toss to coat.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu cubes and fry until crispy and browned on all sides.
- To assemble the bowl, divide the cooked brown rice among 4 bowls. Top each bowl with the cooked tofu, sliced avocado, julienned carrot and cucumber, edamame, pickled ginger, and nori seaweed.
- Drizzle the remaining marinade over the bowls and serve immediately.