This mouth watering Roasted Vegetable Pesto Sandwich is bursting with wonderful flavor! You can bake or grill the vegetables, and both instructions are included. This sandwich is a medley of roasted, savory vegetables of zucchini, eggplant, red bell pepper, and red onion. Then the sandwich is built up with tasty pesto sauce, fresh lettuce or baby spinach leaves, and fresh sliced tomato! Whether you choose to bake or grill the sandwich, the result will be the ultimate, amazing sandwich!
What to serve with the Roasted Vegetable Pesto Sandwich
- Potato Salad: Serve the sandwich with a side of vegan potato salad. The creamy and tangy flavors of the potato salad complement the hearty sandwich nicely.
- French Fries: Crispy, oven-baked or air-fried French fries make a classic and satisfying accompaniment to the sandwich. They add an element of indulgence and can be enjoyed dipped in ketchup or vegan mayo.
- Salad: A fresh green salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and a light vinaigrette dressing complements the sandwich nicely.
- Sweet Potato Fries: Baked or air-fried sweet potato fries add a deliciously sweet and savory element to the meal.
- Coleslaw: A side of vegan coleslaw, either traditional or a variation like cabbage and carrot slaw, adds a refreshing and crunchy element to the plate.
- Pickles and Olives: Tangy dill pickles or pickled vegetables provide a zesty and vibrant contrast to the flavors of the sandwich. Olives are a nice addition as a side to eat with the sandwich. Some people like to slice them or buy them sliced and add them to the sandwich. It really adds to the flavors!
- Soup: Pair the sandwich with a warm bowl of vegan tomato soup or vegetable soup for a comforting and complete meal.
- Fresh Fruit: A bowl of fresh seasonal fruits such as sliced watermelon, berries, or grapes can provide a refreshing and light addition to the plate.
- Chips or Crisps: Enjoy the sandwich with a side of your favorite vegan chips or crisps for a satisfying crunch.
Roasted Vegetable Pesto Sandwich
- 1 baking sheet or grill (depending on if you bake or grill)
- 1 knife
- 1 cutting board
- 1 spatula or tongs (spatula for baking, tongs for grilling)
- 8 slices of preferred bread (such as whole wheat, or sourdough)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 – 8 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 8 slices of vegan cheese (such as vegan mozzarella or cheddar)
- handful of fresh baby spinach leaves (optional)
- sliced tomatoes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place the sliced zucchini, red bell pepper, red onion, and diced eggplant on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat the vegetables evenly.
- Roast the vegetables in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they are tender and slightly charred.
- Once the vegetables are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches by spreading a generous amount of pesto sauce on one side of each bread.
- Add the roasted vegetables on top of the pesto sauce on half the bread, and then top with slices with thinly sliced tomato and baby spinach leave, and two slices of vegan cheese.
- Place the remaining four slices of bread on top to create four sandwiches.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a small amount of olive oil to the skillet.
- Place the sandwiches (1 or 2 at a time) in the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
- Remove the sandwiches from the skillet, slice them in half, and sever hot.
(OPTIONAL) for GRILLED VEGETABLES INSTEAD OF BAKED
- Preheat a grill pan or stovetop skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly brush the zucchini, red bell pepper, red onion, and eggplant rounds with olive oil.
- Grill the vegetables for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are tender and have grill marks. Remove from heat.
- Spread a tablespoon of vegan pesto sauce on one side of each bread slice.
- Layer one slice of vegan cheese, grilled vegetables, fresh spinach, and sliced tomatoes on four of the bread slices. Top with another slice of bread, pesto side down.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and lightly coat with cooking spray or oil.
- Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and let the sandwiches cool for a minute or two before serving.
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve them warm.