Celebrate with our Vegan Garlic Smashed Potatoes! They’re a versatile and satisfying side dish that’s sure to please. These mouthwatering potatoes, crispy on the outside and velvety, creamy inside, are richly infused with garlicky goodness. Prepared with vegan butter or olive oil, and perfectly seasoned, they offer a delectable addition to your vegan culinary repertoire. Garnish with fresh herbs for an extra burst of flavor. Serve for family dinner, or special gatherings and occasions. These potatoes are also a wonderful side dish for favorite holidays, such as Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use other types of potatoes?
Yes, you can use other varieties of potatoes like russet, or fingerling potatoes based on your preference.
Is there a specific type of vegan butter I should use?
You can use any vegan butter or margarine of your choice. Some are made from coconut oil, soy, or other plant-based oils.
How can I make the potatoes extra crispy?
Make sure to roast the potatoes at a high temperature and use a generous amount of oil. Smashing them to a thin layer helps with crispiness as well.
Can I make these potatoes in advance?
While they are best served fresh, you can prepare the boiled and smashed potatoes in advance, refrigerate them, and then roast them just before serving.
Are there alternatives to fresh herbs for garnish?
Yes. Dried herbs or nutritional yeast can be used as an alternative garnish for extra flavor.
What main courses go well with vegan garlic smashed potatoes?
These potatoes pair nicely with a variety of vegan main courses. Serve them with a vegan roast, grilled vegetables, tofu dishes, or plant-based protein substitutes.
Can I add other seasonings to the potatoes?
Feel free to customize the seasoning to your liking by adding spices like paprika, smoked paprika, onion powder, Italian seasonings or more nutritional yeast.
How long can I store leftover vegan garlic smashed potatoes?
Any of the leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Can I use olive oil instead of vegan butter?
Yes, you can use olive oil or any other preferred cooking oil as a vegan butter substitute.
Are these potatoes suitable for gluten-free diets?
Yes. Make sure you use gluten-free vegan butter or use olive oil.
More Delicious Potato Recipes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Pesto Potato Salad
- Roasted Pesto Potatoes
- Healthy Baked French Fries
- Quick Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Potato Salad
- Potato Leek Latkes
Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs. small red or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 6 – 8 cloves of peeled garlic, minced or chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅛ cup vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast (optioanal)
- fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme (optional, for garnish)
- chopped fresh chives or parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Place the potatoes (with the skin on or off, your preference) in a large pot.Cover them with cold water and add a generous pinch of salt.Bring the water to a boil and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and let them sit for a few minutes to dry.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet, leaving some space between each one.
- Use a potato masher, the bottom of a glass, or a fork to gently smash each potato to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Drizzle olive oil or melted vegan butter over the smashed potatoes, making sure to coat each one. Top each potato with a bit of minced garlic.
- Sprinkle the smashed potatoes with nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes become golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven, and if desired, sprinkle with fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme, and chopped fresh chives for garnish.
- Serve the vegan garlic smashed potatoes hot as a delicious vegan side dish.These vegan garlic smashed potatoes are crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, and full of garlicky flavor. They make a fantastic side dish for any vegan meal.